Monday, October 5, 2015

Crystallization - Part 5: Postscript - In Memoriam

Marilyn Milam, August 21, 2015. 

While writing the Crystallization series and coming to the decision to channel my creative energy towards portraiture, I received word that my Aunt Marilyn who I had mentioned in the second installment had passed away.

My early memories of her work and that of her husband at the time, who painted in a surrealist style, are still lodged in my brain decades after seeing them as a child. It was in their house where I gazed up at canvases on the wall that I first realized the power of the painted image to move.

I dedicate the Crystallization series to her and it is my fervent hope that I can carry the torch forward with the same passion that she did throughout her life.

Below are two portraits she did of my grandparents, Cora and Gordon, sometime in the late 1950s or early 60s.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment